7 Responses to Social media success is fun! Social media satire 32.

1. Jeanette says:

As an early adopter on Twitter I tweeted countless times to friends asking me to join them on Google+ “My heart belongs to Twitter.” I’m finding my heart belongs to my offline life. Today, it’s a chore to tweet, a burden to go to Google+, and frustrating to open Facebook. I find EmpireAvenue stupid, but easy to garner ridiculous points in 3 minutes a day.

Since you can influence the points on Klout by auto tweeting, hiring a virtual assistant to tweet and Facebook, use auto following programs, where’s the reality? Offline.

• Peter says:

Hello Jeanette, great to see you here and thanks for dropping by!

It seems that even the most ‘die hard’ fans of social media are starting for appreciate that although it’s great and fun and of course new, social media should add to life rather than devour it!

I actually still like Empire Avenue because I continue to meet quality people as a consequence of being a member, but I’m not as fanatical as I used to be. As for Google+, although I was pretty excited about it at first, now I just don’t have the time to visit it much.

Social media has change a lot for me as a marketer but I’ve recently been working with more traditional marketing methods and they’re still fun too! I love what I do and I now really appreciate that social media is just one of the many tools available! I love blogging still because it’s it’s my blog and it’s my ‘brand’. Blogging is very personal and can’t be compared to much else as far as I’m concerned, whereas other platforms are shared and not so extensively individual.

I should add that my wife and my kids spend a fair bit of time online, that’s life in the 21st but we also read books, watch movies, go out for walks (weather permitting) and talk to each other! It makes sense to mix it up a little, right?

Thanks for your time and your comments, all the very best, Peter aka MarketingM8

2. Yomar Lopez says:

Social media abandonment rates will be more common until we see more consolidation. It’s the ‘ol “gas is greener” mentality. When there are less alternatives, people are more forgiving of big changes. Distinguishing social media home base from outpost is key. Digital sharecropping comes to mind. I feel the average small biz should focus on the SoMe they “own” to avoid losing countless hours of investment with platforms that change drastically.. Or just die off.

• Peter says:

Hi Yomar, how’s life?? Good to see you here!

Reading your comment possibly inspired my previous response to Jeanette, the blog is very special and will not change too much conceptually but social media platforms will and favorites will emerge and change and like restaurants and other social venues we will see phases of popularity.

I agree that developing your own social media is essential and it should be nurtured and protected. Being on everything is pointless, hard work and very time consuming.

Frankly, I’m glad my 24/7/365 phase is over and I’m still loving social media but not quite as fanatically! Creating a base and learning how to create a base and how to appreciate social media takes time but once that’s been achieved it’s time to look at things from a different perspective.

Thanks for joining us here, all the very best, Peter aka MarketingM8

3. Lynn Brown says:

When I saw it in writing Peter … the 24/7/365 it turned my stomach. I fell victim to that last year. My husband literally had to pry me off the computer at midnight, but then I would pop out of bed at 5:30a.m. to get started!

Now, thankfully, I have learned not only how to manage social media but to respect how it is just a tool for business owners to implement that will benefit marketing and business plans. No longer does it dictate my life and in fact, I am enjoying getting new clients in my local town where I actually go out to offices, meet and work with individuals. It is a wonderful balance to the time I spend online.

Now don’t get me wrong, I love my online connections and community. Without this network (especially you Peter) my business would not be thriving as it is. So I am grateful to meet others through this crazy social media frenzy, but to keep it manageable so that it is not running nor ruining my life is key.

Another excellent article Peter!

• Peter says:

Hello Lynn, it’s amazing that we’ve pretty much shared our social media journey pretty much step for step and I’m proud of that! Thanks for being there!!

I think we’ve both benefited an enormous amount from our dedication to social media and the huge amount of time we’ve spent learning what it’s all about and sharing it with others. I believe that the amount of hours spent online over the last 12 months would stagger most people and possibly take them years, if not decades to achieve? Having said that, we’re both currently in a great place and I’ve loved every minute of it, however, lessons have been learned.

I too, no longer get online at 5.00am and get off at midnight or later and I’m happy that I don’t feel that I have to now.

I still enjoy my Facebook group, my LinkedIn group, my Twitter followers and my Empire Avenue friends and connections, but I don’t feel so compelled to attend to them constantly, they will still be there!

Thanks again for your support Lynn, it has been continuous and unwavering and I thank you!

Great to see you, all the very best Peter :)

4. Pingback: Social media success is fun! Social media satire 32 | SOCIAL MEDIA, what we think about! | Scoop.it