Social media scandal and seasonal social media satire!

Social media scandal and seasonal social media satire!! (Edition 33)

What’s happening over at Empire Avenue? Where’s all the social media love and affection gone?

A few algorithm changes and a lowering of divs and people are fighting, what happened to the social media summer of love?  The people that left gracefully for whatever reason have moved on, but others seem to be hanging in there and displaying a lot of negativity. The Empire Avenue game isn’t mandatory and it is, after all, just a game! Let’s hope this doesn’t become a social media scandal!

Social media unrest on Empire Avenue

Sing me a social media serenade!

Why can’t people just relax and enjoy what they do in their leisure time? Frankly, I don’t mind if someone sings me a social media serenade, but all the noise and negativity is giving me a headache!

Having said that, we’ll probably witness a lot more social media noise soon as Klout also adjusts its algorithms! Scores will drop and some smiles will probably drop too! I can recall my emotional state when my score dropped from 58 to 51 in just 1 day, this was back in February 2011, this event could be worse and could affect 1,000′s of people. Oh no, another social media scandal! (Update: Some people are saying Klout prefers Facebook to Twitter now??)

Klout scores changing soon!!

Beware of the forthcoming Klout drop!

All things considered, I got over my Klout score drop pretty well and I’m actually exactly the same guy with a score of 72 as I was recently at 74, so the casualty levels should remain manageable! Don’t panic, you’ll live through it and counselling may be available online.

Don't be a social media crazy!

Get a grip!!

However emotional social media makes you, you should always consider trying not to appear like a complete nutter online! I have seen some incredible outbursts recently from people I considered reasonably stable and mature.  Social media should be fun and entertaining and whatever happens, it is rarely life threatening; this should be remembered! Whatever you say will probably stay with social media somewhere, so please don’t lose the plot and regret it later; remember, your future boss and your grandma might be reading your bizarre outbursts too!

Social media habits!

Typing less this winter bloggers?

It was quite easy to get up early and begin typing blog posts at 5.30am last summer, but as it gets colder and darker in the mornings I’m pretty sure we will all embrace the maximum time in our warm and comfortable beds. (The extra quilt went on last night!)

How will you be affected? How will social media be affected? Will there be a significant decrease in Tweets, posts, comments and responses? Or will it be counter balanced by digital Christmas greetings and seasonal social media campaigns? This could be the first major social media Christmas for lots of companies! What special social media content have you got planned for the Christmas holidays?

Christmas social media?

Ho ho ho and a social media Christmas campaign!

Maybe we’ll see some great seasonal content this Christmas on the social media platforms? We all remember the classic Christmas advertising campaigns of our favorite   corporations years ago, don’t we? (Hands up who remembers Coca Cola’s Santa Claus?)

It MUST be time for the corporations to present something special on their social media platforms, maybe we’ll see some Festive Facebook additions or some Glittering Google baubles? Corporate Christmas carols videoed and sent via Twitter would inspire good spirit amongst all men (and women), as would Christmas movie video clips!

But who will do it best? Will the platforms themselves ALL do something major? Will Google or Facebook win? Will Twitter get better or bitter with their Christmas decorations this year? Who will embrace the season and gain some major social media kudos?  Klout offering Christmas perks (and not just in the USA!) maybe even YouTube will offer some festive delights and surprises??

On a corporate level, maybe it’ll be Nokia, they’ve performed extremely well with social media this year and are bound to be ahead of the competition! I can also think of one of two companies that are bound to spend $1,000,000′s on traditional Christmas commercials, but definitely won’t be smart enough to consider the social media angle! (Happy Christmas BMW!)

Who will be first and what will they do? Let me know what you’d like to see, ho, ho, ho…

If you find this information interesting, please give it a Google + CLICK and also share it on Facebook, Twitter, StumbleUpon, Digg, or whichever social media platform you prefer.

If you want to get ahead with a social media call 01473 435308  or email peter@constructionmarketinguk.co.uk and we’ll explain just how cost effective a blog can be or we’ll tell you about our social media starter system, which is very cost effective!

Select and connect with MarketingM8

www.marketingm8.co.uk

Enhanced by Zemanta

About Peter

British born Peter L Masters has been a writer for many years and Cut Limbo is his first published novel. Back in the late 70's and early 80's he was the singer/songwriter for cult punk band Spasmodic Caress. The controversial "Hit the Dead" track was released by 4AD in 1980 and decades later re-released by US punk band The Spits. Subsequent tracks such as "Waiting" "SPG" and "Ambition" are now on YouTube. The inspiration for Cut Limbo comes from a combination of experiences gained whilst travelling and living in Europe and Asia, a love of the punk rock era and everything it stood for, and a passion for books and movies. Cut Limbo was originally written by Peter as a screenplay and inspired by classic movies such as Pulp Fiction, True Romance, Jackie Brown and Get Shorty. (A big thanks to Quentin Tarantino and Elmore Leonard) The story of what went on at Schipol airport, Amsterdam, just had to be told.
This entry was posted in Advertising, BLOGGING, Digital Marketing, Empire Avenue, Facebook, Google +, INTERNET MARKETING,, Klout, Klout score advisors, Marketing Mix, SOCIAL MEDIA, Social Media Marketing, Twitter, Twitter tools, Video design, WordPress developers, YouTube, YouTube marketing and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Social media scandal and seasonal social media satire!

1. Stan Faryna says:

The times they are exciting in social media as Peter observes. Empire Avenue and Klout have shaken, stirred, and unmasked the stupid clowns as John Garrett would say – if he had a mean bone in his body.

More about Stupid Clowns.

Recently on my blog: Blog Soup

• Peter says:

Hello Stan,

I think Klout shook a few people today!!

As long as there were no injuries we’ll be OK, right?

Thanks for your comments, all the very best Peter aka MarketingM8

2. Pingback: Blog Soup 2011.10.24 A Blogger’s Digest « The unofficial blog of Stan Faryna

3. Karla Campos says:

Hi Peter I am scared lol there are days that I forget to log in to EA (I kind of have to work lol) and before I get a chance to buy people back they have sold me. I hope they are not too angry I don’t do it on purpose. Imagine the shares were real dollars, that would cause major warfare.

• Peter says:

Hello Karla, good to see you here and thanks for the smiles!

Luckily the money is not real, however the sentiments often are, right?

I just like to see it remain a friendly ‘game’, that’s all I ask!

Great to hear from you, all the very best, Peter, aka MarketingM8

4. Some people are just losing their minds. I’ve been checking out the EA Facebook page and some of what I’m reading there is ridiculous. It’s a game, plain and simple, and I went into it knowing that I would be buying and selling people and that it’s going to happen to me as well if my stock price drops, and that’s pretty much that.

Having said that, though, I also have to admit that the social media aspect of the game is totally nonexistent. Well, maybe not totally, but 95% nonexistent. I’d thought that people would be interacting with each other more, visiting each other’s blogs and the like, but I’ve noticed that many people don’t have blogs and some don’t even list websites. I mean, where’s the social media part?

• Peter says:

Hello Mitch, thanks for being here too!!

I tend to agree that some people are taking things way too far, I don’t like bullying or the politics too much in a ‘game’ but that’s just some people I guess. (sadly!)

Most of the social media interaction is via other platforms, mainly Facebook but I try to engage on other platforms despite it not always being reciprocated. I guess we all do what we can, right?

I just like to enjoy it, simple as that!!

Thanks for you time and comments, all the very best, Peter aka MarketingM8

5. Alan says:

Just read this. Guess my Klout feel-good advice through Twitter was unnecessary, haha. Nice analysis, Peter.

• Peter says:

Hey Alan, great to see you here!!

Klout does what it has to do, I guess as long as no one is really hurt and we’re all effected in a similar way, we’ll cope!!

It’s always good to hear from you and I do appreciate your continued support!!

All the very best to you, Peter aka MarketingM8

• Alan says:

You’re quite welcome, Peter.

I think the most important thing to consider here is that, as in Facebook, we, the Klout users, are the product, not the market. If anyone get hurts, it would be the companies offering perks and buying ads from them, as people leaves Klout disgruntled.

I wouldn’t take Klout as a serious professional index until they shifted gears from the announcers to the users. And that will be when they get an income for doing that; as in paid memberships.

Right now, Klout is for me as much as a “game” as EAv: a great and easy way to find interesting people willing to connect. And that’s pretty much it.

• Peter says:

Hello again Alan, thanks for your comments.

I agree, this is very early stages for social media AND Klout and we’re bound to see many changes and therefore we should just go with the flow and enjoy the ride.

Months ago I heard about people being employed based on their Klout score but I haven’t met anyone who has! Urban ‘social media’ myth? Maybe!

Klout is fun to me, I love the lists and I enjoy being mentioned as an influencer despite all the dramatic changes! I’m happy to say I’m still a top recipient for K+’s in a subject or 2, they didn’t take that away from me!

I want some perks!! Just because I’m not USA based means I get nothing!!

Cheers Alan, looking forward to see how we both get on! Stay in touch, all the very best Peter aka MarketingM8

6. You should just see how hysterical some people have gotten over the drop in Klout scores, Peter. I spent a couple of hours reading the outpouring of negative comments on the Klout blog, the Fan Page and the #Occupyklout Twitter hashtag. I even left a harsh comment on the FP’s wall, which triggered a heated discussion.

I did not know that people could get fired over low Klout scores or even lose clients. I did not know that social media was becoming such a challenging field. When I think that I keep telling people that they need to build relationships instead of counting followers, I feel ashamed! I got it all wrong!

Well, more seriously, whether the arguments I wrote in the thread under my nasty comment on the Fan Page are warranted or not, I think people seriously need to reconsider why they are using social media in the first place! Here are my thoughts on the topic: http://www.creativeramblings.com/is-social-media-just-about-numbers-these-days/

• Peter says:

Hello Cendrine,

Great to hear from you and I promise to take a look as soon as I get the chance!! (You know I will)

I’ll get back to you, all the very best Peter, aka MarketingM8